Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

One of my favorite things to order at a burger joint is Sweet Potato Fries. I always feel a little less guilty for wolfing down sweet potato fries than if I had ordered the traditional fries (because of the nutrients that are found in Sweet Potatoes). Lately, I have been in search for an "out of this world" sweet potato fry recipe that would be a healthy alternative to the greasy stuff you'd find at Burger Joints. I think I have finally found a recipe that is all that and a bag of "chips!" This recipe calls for seasonings that are on hand in your spice cabinet and a couple of good sized Sweet Potatoes or Yams. My kids love these baked fries and don't even notice that they aren't soaked in grease and drive thru ordered. You can make these as a snack, or a side dish for burgers or baked fish!

Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

6 sweet potatoes, cut into French fries (I use two huge potatoes)
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
1/8- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a plastic bag, combine the sweet potatoes, canola oil, taco seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Close and shake the bag until the fries are evenly coated. Spread the fries out in a single layer on two large baking sheets.
3.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until crispy and brown on one side. Turn the fries over using a spatula, and cook for another 30 minutes, or until they are all crispy on the outside and tender inside. Thinner fries may not take as long.

**Note: My hubby and I like things spicy so we enjoy using 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. It is very spicy with the 1/4 teaspoon so if you are faint of heart in the heat department then I would recommend going with 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Also the original recipe asks that you cook the fries at 425 degrees but I feel like the fries cook too fast and get burned so I like to reduce the temperature. Keep your eye on the fries after the first 30 minutes of cooking, they tend to cook fast and can burn.

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...