Monday, May 10, 2010

Chinese Coconut Shrimp

When I came upon this recipe, I just had to try it. One of my favorite things to get when I visit Red Lobster is the coconut shrimp. I am in love with it! When I found this recipe I was hoping this recipe would be similar and become a family favorite. This is all that and more!! It turns out, I have again stumbled across another very delicious recipe. If you love seafood and love shrimp this recipe is worth a try! This is a little different from the traditional deep fried coconut shrimp that you would usually find in a Seafood Restaurant. This shrimp dish is sauteed rather than fried version that is served with a coconut flavored sauce! The shrimp in this dish is very flavorful and when you take that first bite it is like having a party in your mouth! This dish has a sweet flavor, so it may not be for everyone but if you do enjoy the Deep Fried Shrimp and dipping sauces you will most likely enjoy this recipe. Go on and give this one a try, I promise that your taste buds will thank you for making this dish! If you try this dish, I would love to hear from you and get your feedback!

Chinese Coconut Shrimp

Recipe and Photo courtesy of blog chef.com
1 lb. jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails off)
Salt and Pepper
1 T. Olive Oil
4 Green Onions, chopped
1 T. Amaretto Liquor *(You will have to make a trip to the state liquor store for this. I bought the Amaretto Silk DeKuyper Brand.)
1/2 c. coconut milk
1/4 c. Heavy cream
2 T. Sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* If you are worried about cooking with alcohol, do not fret, the alcohol cooks out! :)

Step 1:
In a wok or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium- high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp and saute' for 2-3 minutes. Add green onion and amaretto liquor. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the shrimp begins to caramelize.
Step 2: Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside. Add to the wok or saucepan- coconut milk, heavy cream and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer (stirring occasionally ) until the sauce is reduced by half (about 6 minutes).
Step 3: Add shrimp back into the wok or saucepan and add vanilla and coconut extracts. Simmer for another 1-2 minutes and serve over rice.
(Makes 4 servings)

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...