Monday, January 17, 2011

Baked Zucchini Sticks with Marinara


As a family we have been trying to eat a little better and with that I have switched over to baking everything instead of frying everything in oil and butter. I have to honestly tell you that I have truly felt better since making this little change. I have more energy and can tell a difference in my whole well being. I recently came across this recipe on line and it is a huge hit at our home. I love French fries and this is the next best thing...Baked Zucchini sticks with Marinara Dipping sauce. These are guiltlessly delicious! My kids love them because they get to dip and dunk them. I love them because they are a perfect snack or even an impressive side dish! Plus as an added bonus the kids don't realize they are getting a helping of veggies! What mom doesn't love that?

Baked Zucchini Sticks with Marinara Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:
3 medium zucchini, sliced and cut into 3"X 1/2" sticks
1 Large Egg White
1/3 c. whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tsp. Romano or Parmesean cheese, grated
cooking spray
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt
Fresh pepper

Quick Marinara Sauce
Ingredients:
1 tsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed
28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to love. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat egg white and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumbs and cheese mixture a few at a time and shake to coat.
Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spary more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425 for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with 1/2 c. marinara sauce for dipping!

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I am going to have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look exactly the way I make mine!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...