Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Kitchen Tip Tuesday- Emergency Ingredient Substitutions


I am excited for todays KITCHEN TIP TUESDAY Feature! I have a helpful tip and a delicious recipe that go hand in hand with each other! Are you excited? I knew you would be!

I don't know about any of you food lovers/chefs but one of my biggest pet peeves is when I am in the middle of following/making a recipe, only to find out that the ingredient I need is either used up or I don't have enough of it to make the dish I am working on! Having to leave the kitchen, hop in the car and drive to the grocery store to fetch the item can be really obnoxious. I know planning and having the ingredients on hand is necessary to having a good outcome to any excellent dish but sometimes it is inevitable to have all the ingredients you need on hand all the time. Todays helpful hint is an emergency substitution that I learned back in College when I was taking a cooking course!! It will also save you money!! * squeal* Who isn't about saving money and making due with the ingredients you have on hand? Call me cheap but I love saving money!!

A good friend and neighbor of mine has an excellent Buttermilk Pancake Recipe that she shared with me a year or so back. I frequently make her pancake recipe for my kids on the weekends because it is quick, and easy and fills their tummies right up! I also make them because my kids love pancakes, and so does their mom! Sshhh! Dont' tell! The only draw back to this recipe is that it calls for Buttermilk. I rarely use buttermilk and I hate buying it only to use a little and have the rest of it spoil. So what is the solution? I will let you in on one of the Queen's little secrets!

Are you ready? :)

You can make your own buttermilk with two ingredients that you probably have on hand!!! Pretty cool eh?

Emergency Substitution:
For every 1 c. of buttermilk you need, you can use: 1 cup of milk plus 1 T. Lemon Juice.

What I do so I don't dirty unecessary bowls (see I really do look for ways to save money and cut corners) is take my one cup measuring cup and add the 1 T. Lemon juice to the bottom. I then pour whatever kind of milk I have on hand (I use whole, 2% or 1%- I have never tried skim) over the top until the one cup measuring cup is filled to the top or to the one cup line. Then I Let the milk and lemon juice mixture set for several minutes before adding it to my recipe. Viola! No need to run to the store, no need to spend extra money!! I am all for cutting corners (as long as they work and don't come back to haunt you in the end) and not spending unnecessary money. I promise that cutting this corner will not come back to haunt you!

Now here is the recipe I promised you so you can use the little substitution secret that I taught you! Oh, and pat your self on the back for learning something fun and new and cost efficient. Pass this trick on to your other food loving chefs, and friends. They will be happy you did! :)

Easy Buttermilk Pancakes
recipe from the kitchen of Myra Smart

Ingredients:
1 c. Buttermilk, or use the secret I shared with you.
1 egg, beaten
1 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. oil

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients together until well combined. Pour onto a hot griddle and cook until golden brown. Flip pancake and cook until browned. Top with butter and maple/fruit syrup! Viola! You have some of the most delicious, fluffiest pancakes to serve to your family!

I hope you enjoy this recipe, as well as, this helpful kitchen tip! Check back next Tuesday for another helpful kitchen hint!

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...