Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweetheart Cookies

I can not believe that tomorrow is February! Where did January go? Personally, I am glad that January is over because it truly is a boring and dreary month, that leaves even the most outgoing of people shut ins and a little on the unpleasant side, me included. January is one month that I don't feel warm and fuzzy about.
However, one month that I do feel warm and fuzzy about is February. There are so many things that I love about February.
I LOVE the bright red, purple, and pink hearts that seem to pop up in window store fronts. I LOVE that the weather perks up a little giving me hope that the warm spring weather will soon emerge from it's winters nap. I also LOVE showing the dear ones in my life how much I appreciate them. One way that I like to show the special people in my life how much I love them, is baking up some yummy goodies to share with them. It has been said that a way to a man's (or anyones heart for that matter) is through their stomachs. For me personally, I am happier when I have good food to eat and look forward to! With Valentine's Day just around the corner, this cookie recipe is a wonderful one to share with your special "sweetheart(s)." These buttery, flaky cookies have raspberry or strawberry jam centers and are lightly dusted with powdered sugar, which makes them irresistible. From past experience, plan on doubling this recipe because your cherubs will fall in LOVE with these little gems and they will be gone in a heart beat!

Sweetheart Cookies
recipe adapted from the kitchen of Taste of Home

Ingredients:
3/4 c. butter, softened (do not use margarine)
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
11/2 c. flour
Raspberry or Strawberry Jam or Preserves
Powdered Sugar

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg yolk and mix well. Stir in flour by hand. On a lightly flour surface, gently knead the dough for 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly combined. Roll into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches a part on a greased baking sheet. Using the end of a wooden or plastic spoon handle, make an indention in the center or each. Fill each wth 1/4 t. preserves. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire rack and dust warm cookies with powdered sugar. Cool completely. Makes about 2 Dozen cookies.

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I do believe I make a batch or two with a few different flavors of yummy jam in the center! Sara has been wanting to make jam filled cookies for awhile now. I love taste of home recipes! Happy February!

    *Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look like little sweeties. I just realized you're LDS. So am I. Nice to find a fellow Mormon blogger. Thanks so much for linking up this week at Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in often.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...